REGISTRATION OPENS OCTOBER 1, 2022!
Welcome to Kings Grant Basketball!
Our youth basketball league is designed to teach fundamental skills and teamwork in a fun environment. Equal participation, sportsmanship, and teamwork is emphasized. Read on for more information!
Divisions & Ages:
We welcome Boys and Girls– ages 5-18
Age Brackets are based on the player's age as of Sept 30th.
- 6U Coed/PeeWee Skills clinics only - No games. Only $50 for the season.
- 8U Girls and Boys divisions
- 10U Girls and Boys divisions
- 12U Girls and Boys divisions
- 14U Girls* and Boys divisions *(16U and 14U Girls are often combined)
- 16U Girls* and Boys divisions
- 18U Boys division
We host an eight-game basketball season. Practice beings the first week of December. Games being in early January, and wrap up in mid-March (weather dependent).
- There are no games for 6U. Skills clinics are held at local schools every Friday at 6:30pm
- 8U & 10U Boys and Girls play other teams in our league
- 12U, 14U, 16U, and 18U Boys and Girls play teams from throughout the City of VB
- Practices are held 1-2 times per week at local elementary schools. 8U practices 1x/week, 10U practices 1-2x/week (coach's discretion), and 12U and above practice 2x/week.
- All 8U and 10U games will be held on Saturdays at local elementary schools
- 12U-18U games are held at various public school locations in Virginia Beach
Below is a general timeframe for the season. These dates are subject to change.
- Oct 1-15 Early Bird Registration (Save $10)
- Oct 16-Nov 1 Regular Registration
- Oct 18 National Basketball Day!! Happy Birthday, Mr. Naismith
- Nov 1-15 Late Registration ($20 Late Fee)
- Nov 15 ABSOLUTE LAST DAY TO REGISTER... NO LATE PLAYERS ACCEPTED ONCE TEAMS MADE
- Mid Nov Mandatory KGLRA Coaches Meeting
- Late Nov Player Assessments Begin (8U, 10U, 12U Boys only)
- Late Nov Mandatory City-hosted Coaches Meeting (For U12, U14, U16, U18 Coaches only)
- Dec 5-9 Team practices begin
- Early Jan Saturday - First game, all divisions
Save money and Register early!
Your registration fee covers:
Fee Schedule 2022-2023:
- Uniform (jersey & shorts)
- Facilities for practices and games
- Certified professional referees
- PeeWee - Registration $50!
- Early Bird Registration (Oct 1 - 15): $85.00 *Save $10*
- Regular Registration (Oct 16 - 31): $95.00
- Late Registration (Nov 1 - 15): $115.00 *$20 late fee
Kings Grant Sports is an 100% Volunteer Run Organization!
A core group of dedicated volunteers are here to see that we get the season off the ground, but we can't do it without you! Volunteers are needed to ensure this league's success. We need coaches, league coordinators, gym supervisors, equipment managers (uniforms, balls, clocks, trophies, etc) and more! New to coaching or volunteering? No problem! We have training, experienced volunteers, and lots of documents to help you.
Please see the Q&A below. If your question is not answered, please email us at [email protected].
Q. What kind of time commitment does the basketball program require?
A. Teams generally practice 1-2 nights a week for an hour. Teams have 1 game per week which lasts about an hour.
Q: Can I request a practice night?
A. We understand that kids have multiple activities and may have an evening that they can not practice. We can not take special requests; however, if there is one night that absolutely wouldn’t work, please put that in the comments section when signing up. We will make every effort to accommodate but cannot make a guarantee.
Q: Where do the practices take place?
A: Practices generally are one hour in the following time slots: 6:30-7:30pm; 7:30-8:30pm; 8:30-9:30pm. Practices take place at the following schools: Kings Grants ES, Kingston ES, Windsor Oaks ES, Lynnhaven ES. The early time slots are always prioritized for our youngest players.
Q: When will I be notified about what team my child is on and when practices will be held?
A: Practice for all teams begin the first week of December. You should be notified within 72 hours of the assessment about your child's team placement. The assessments will take place in late November.
Q: When will practices start?
A: First week of December.
Q: How are players assigned to teams?
A: All boys In 8U, 10U, and 12U divisions are required to attend player assessments. Girls in 10U, and 12U divisions will also have an assessment depending on the number of players that register. Player assessments are not a tryout, but how we rank skills to ensure every team has an even distribution of talent. The skills-based assessment clinic will consist of a few simple drills and will assist the coaches in selecting balanced teams.
Q: When will games begin?
A: All games will begin in early January.
Q: Can my child play on the same team with a friend?
A: Players are assigned through the draft in an attempt to create balanced teams.
Q. Does my child need to attend the skills assessment??
Yes = Your child is a girl in group 10U or 12U.
Yes = Your child is a boy in 8U, 10U, or 12U
Yes = if your child is new to our Kings Grant league.
Yes = if your child is moving to a new age group.
No= 8U girls teams do not require player assessment.
No = if your child is playing in the 6U (PeeWee), 14U, 16U, 18U divisions.
Q. Can siblings be assigned to the same team?
A. Yes, if they are in the same division. Please make note of this request on both children's registration.
Q: I would like to coach. How do I get a team?
A: Please choose: "I would like to coach" during the online signup process. See the "Coaches Corner" tab on our website for more information. You can also email us. If emailing, please let us know what age your child is or what age group you would like to coach. Coaches must take standard youth sports on-line training and pass a background check.
Q. How high is the rim?
A: Rim heights are based on recommendations and standards of National youth sports organizations.
6U 7 ft
8U 8 ft
10U 9 ft
U12> 10 ft
Q. What size ball will my child need?
A: 6U 25.5 (Size 4)
8U 27.5 (Size 5)
10U 28.5 (Size 6)
12U 28.5 (Size 6)
14U> 28.5 (Girls), 29.5 (Boys)
Q. I would like to help out but do not want to coach.
A. There are many open positions available and would welcome any time you could give to your community organization. Some positions require a minimal time commitment. Opportunities include: gym supervisor coordinator, uniform coordinator, trophy coordinator, just to name a few. No experience necessary. Simply email us and we'll welcome you aboard!