King's Grant Lynnhaven Recreation Association (KGLRA) exists to provide opportunities for youth to play safe and enjoyable sports, regardless of race, creed, ethnic or economic backgrounds by creating fair and positive sporting experiences that develops sportsmanship, respect, and friendly competition.
KGLRA works in conjunction with the Virginia Beach City-wide Athletics office to provide recreational sport opportunities for children in the Kings Grant Lynnhaven area.
The League is administered by an all-volunteer Board of Directors and dozens of volunteer coaches and coordinators.
Board of Directors
The Board will support the work of King Grant’s recreation association and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance.
Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
• Leadership, governance and oversight
• Serving as a trusted advisor to develop and implement policies to improve and support the overall mission of the association
• Regularly measuring the performance and effectiveness of each sport; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
• Approving KGLRA’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
• Identifying and recruiting other Board Members
• Partnering with other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
• Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
• Acting as an ambassador for the organization
• Ensuring KGLRA’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the King’s Grant & Lynnhaven communities it serves
Board Terms & Participation
KGLRA’s Board Members will serve a two-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held monthly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about KGLRA’s mission. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members. Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
• A commitment to and understanding of youth athletics
• Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of the youth in our communities
• Service on KGLRA’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
Responsibilities of Board Officers:
• Preside at all meetings and delegate duties as necessary to ensure the association’s mission is fulfilled.
Vice President | Area Chairperson
• Preside at all meetings in the absence of the board president.
• Serve as liaison between the City Parks & Recreation office and KGLRA.
• Attend organizational meetings held by the city.
• Handle all monies of the association and keep detailed records of all transactions.
• Deposit all funds received and pay bills approved by the association in a timely manner.
• Provide financial report at every monthly meeting.
• Prepare budget for approval by board.
• Ensure minutes of each meeting are kept and provide copies of previous meetings minutes.
• Prepare, copy and distribute promotional flyers
• Update calendar with key events
• Notify community and area schools of registrations.
• Facilitate registration and conduct drafts if necessary.
• Ensure qualified coaches are in place for all teams.
• Secure practice and game sites
• Submit budget prior to start of season for board approval
• Secure equipment, uniforms and trophies
• Submit team and individual registrations are sent to Area Chairperson
• Secure gym supervisors and referees/umpires
• Organize and communicate all practice, game and tournament schedules
Association Support Roles:
Accounting or Non-Profit Law
Volunteers with skills in accounting and tax preparation and/or non-profit management. We would like to apply for 501(c)3 Non-profit status, but also need help building and maintaining sound financial records.
Equipment Management & Uniforms
Each season we inventory gear, order new, then issue it out to the coaches and gym supervisors. In addition, we must order and distribute uniforms. Responsibilities are limited to a few hours at the beginning and end of each season.
Human Resource Management
Each season we hire gym supervisors, score and clock keepers, and game officials. We would love to have a volunteer or two assist us in hiring dependable workers, managing their schedules, and verifying timesheets.
Marketing & Communication Committee
Always in search of volunteers that could help us improve our brand... Logos, website, flyers, emails, social media. We have a sign on Kings Grant road that needs a refresh and would like a fresh new logo to put on our shirts and informational materials.
Coaching Education Committee
Many of our coaches are parents with little coaching experience. We have visions of creating a basic training program for our new coaches to include clinics and courses in sportsmanship and leadership.
Would love a few dedicated volunteers to help lead this effort.
Recognition and Scholarships Committee
Party planners welcome! We would like to start a tradition of end of season banquets to recognize players and coaches that go above and beyond, and to thank our volunteer coaches and board members for their support. Goal is 2-3 events/year (i.e Fall, Winter and Spring). Also assist in selection of our annual Jarrod C Smith Scholarship winner.
A group of passionate volunteers that want to improve our basketball program. Focus of effort... Rules review, draft procedures, All-Star teams, off-season programs, and more as desired.
Flag Football Committee
A group of passionate volunteers that want to improve our flag football program. Ideas include field improvements, skills clinics, and more.
A group of volunteers passionate about growing girl’s softball in our area. Our teams have been shrinking the last few years, yet we know lots of girls love the game. Ideas include field improvements, skills clinics and more.
A group of volunteers passionate to improve our volleyball programs. We recently donated new nets to Kingston, but want to do more at other schools and with the kids.